Born MAY 19, 1931
1) God used a picture in an issue of Life magazine to draw David to New York to work with gangs.
2) David began Teen Challenge in 1958 to reach young gang members and drug addicts.
3) Many learned about David’s ministry through his very frank 1963 book, The Cross and the Switchblade. It became a best seller.
4) In the early 1970s David relocated his ministry headquarters to Texas and renamed it World Challenge.
5) In 1986, while visiting New York, David was struck by the sight of, not teens but children, addicted to hard drugs. Feeling God calling him back to the gritty streets of New York, two years later he founded Time Square Church in Manhattan.
6) He was a prolific writer. During his lifetime David wrote over 30 books and hundreds of devotional newsletters. He later became a blogger.
Here’s the beginning of the Lights-4-God post about David Wilkerson:
The skinny preacher stood on a sidewalk in the Fort Greene neighborhood of Brooklyn, holding his Bible. He’d just prayed with four young gang members to become Christians. Then, two leaders of the gang known as the Mau Maus stepped forward. One of them, Nicky Cruz, threatened to kill the preacher. Read more.